Monday, June 1, 2009

Rhonda's visit and memorial day

Rhonda came out Sunday of Memorial day, and almost as soon as she got here we headed out to Yellowstone to take her there for her first trip ever. We were on a mission to see wolves.. didn't happen. We saw a grizzley bear for her at least. It was pretty far away though. We had lunch at the Canyon soda fountain which was pretty good. Rhonda was sweet and treated.
We saw lots of the park, but no wolves.
I hope she enjoyed her trip, it was kinda dull with not a whole lot of wildlife. Thats one of the dangers of looking for critters, you are dependent on them to cooperate.
Once we got home Rhonda and I talked about old times and were up far too late lol. I'm gertting too old to stay up that late...but Sierra is trying to prove to me I can still do it on a regular basis.

Monday she headed out and we went up to Red Lodge Montana to the beartooth Nature Center, a place where injured, orphaned and illegally owned as pets are taken... its a very cool place! Randal used to volunteer there when he worked in Columbus. Lewis and Clark...orphaned twin cougars were just kittens the last time he saw them.. They meowed so soft and sweetly when Randal came to the cage...almost like they were saying hi to an old friend.. it was a bit eye opening that huge 150 pound cougars meow softer than Marty (my cat in Holton) ever did! I could have gotten myself in trouble not knowing that lol. Helen another mt lion... was not so cordial.. she was growling and hissing and carrying on.. she got up on the wrong side of the den apparently lol. It was a great experience. Lots of animals, lots of sad stories, but they are all doing well at the nature center, so I guess its not all bad.
From there we went down the beartooth highway.. its a road that goes over 12,000 foot mountains. Charles Corault calls it the most scenic highway in teh US. It was pretty cool, a lil scary though, since I don't like heights. I am kinda looking forward to going back in a month or so when the wildflowers go nuts, and the lakes are all unfrozen.
It was still early enough, so we shot into the park for a few hours and saw 3 wolves. I felt bad that Rhonda wasn't there. I also saw a black bear and a moose and since I wasn't able to stop and get pictures grew rather hateful.. partially because I was tired and partially because they would have made for GREAT photos and were well within the range of my camera. I also was excited because I hadn't saw a black bear up very close before. ...at least not since I've been old enough to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment