Monday, June 1, 2009

who's afraid of the big, bad...Mt.Lion?????

Living in Wyoming has brought a few changes to my idea of "street smarts". I've always been a country girl, but I've always been pretty street smart too, in the sense that I pay very close attention to my surroundings and listen to my instincts most of the time. I'm always on the look out for someone hiding, be it in the bed of my pick up (when I had it), under a vehicle, etc, I was on the look out.. I also make sure I say hello to people as I'm walking past if I'm alone and in the dark.. for some reason, if you make contact, you aren't quite as likely to have to deal with someone. I know that rule doesn't always apply.. and I've had my own experience in North Dakota that made me question whether that really worked.. but...I think I would have been called names anyway.. that chick was just nuts!

In Wyoming, the rules have changed a bit. I didn't know this until today though. Apparently, Saturday morning a Mt. Lion was spotted in a tree just 3 blocks down from where I live. ...Thats right.. a 150 pound cat was lounging in a tree in downtown Powell. I didnt get to see the cat in person.. I'm probably glad of that, although admittedly, a part of me would love to see one. ...however, after my encounter with Helen, the mt. Lion at the Beartooth Nature preserve, I'm kinda wondering if I may need to rethink this a bit.

So now.. my street smart has to include wild life awareness. huh.. who would have thought that I was wasting time by going to Yellowstone to try finding animals.. I could have just taken a stroll around town~!

No comments:

Post a Comment